What do you think would make Tauriko for Tomorrow a great community?
When asked what the project partners should be considering when designing the new growth area, what you want to see for the future of Tauriko, what you like about the area today, and what would make it better, you told us that you want:
- Better access to the Wairoa River, while making sure we preserve the river margins
- Great green spaces that everyone can enjoy
- A place that people feel proud of and connected to – a centre or ‘heart’ for locals and visitors to meet at
- For the whole area to be safe, and to provide a high quality of life
- To have access to a range of community facilities: parks, cafes, churches, play centres, along with walking and cycling facilities
- A strong, connected and successful school in a safe central location
- A small retail area, and improved road access to the Lakes and Tauriko
- A better mix of housing choices – something more compact that would provide for a range of people and needs.
Outside the area, you told us there is a need to provide a footpath along the length of Cambridge Road.
Tauranga City Council is now moving into master planning, modelling what the area could look like. This includes looking at providing commercial areas and reserves, access to the Wairoa River, housing types, the internal roading network and how it links to surrounding areas in the west of the city.
Work on the resilience of the area, considering flood risks and the geotechnical suitability of the land form, as well as engagement with tangata whenua, is also underway.